We were out of bread, out of crackers and soup was on the menu. What to do for a quick addition to the supper? These scones were the perfect answer. There was not one left after supper. If you don’t have the spelt flour, use unbleached white flour.
Yum Ranch Scones with Oats and Spelt
Preheat oven to 425°F
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups white spelt flour
½ teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ cup butter
1 cup of buttermilk or sour milk
1) Put rolled oats In the food processor and process to create oat flour. (The oat flour does not need to be completely fine. It is OK to have a few flakes.)
2) To oat flour in the food processor, add the rest of the dry ingredients and butter cut into 8 smaller cubes. Then process until the texture of cornmeal.
3) Pour contents of food processor into a bowl. Add the buttermilk or sour milk and mix to form a rough ball of dough.
4) On a greased cookie sheet, form the dough into two rounds and pat into circles about 1 inch thick. With a sharp knife make 3 diameter cuts into each round defining 6 wedges in each round.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes on a stoneware cookie sheet or 15-18 minutes on a metal cookie sheet.
These are guaranteed to be a hit. Don’t forget the butter and jam.